Sunday, August 15, 2010

Simplifying my mind.

Life has so many distractions. Too many. When I think of all the things that I allow to occupy my mind, it's actually quite a bit surprising how quickly Jesus gets squeezed into a dark corner somewhere. How many times have I allowed this to happen? I push Him to the recesses of my innermost being and only take Him out when it's "convenient." Sadly, when "convenient" times come along, Jesus has collected a fine layer of dust, and I'm left with a bad taste of guilt in my mouth. What's wrong with this picture? The HUGE thing that's wrong with this picture is that my life is dangerously close to allowing "convenience" to take over. God, help me. Help us all.

I re-read Luke chapter 9 today. I don't know why. Normally, I would have moved ahead and started chapter 10. I guess the Lord had something He really wanted me to ponder...........

As the time approached for Him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem.
(Luke 9:51)

Strong's says that the word for "resolutely" is stērizō, meaning stable, placed firmly, set fast, fixed...strengthened...rendered one's mind constant.

Jesus was determined. He was resolved. His heart did not waver in the light of what was to come. He fixed His eyes on one thing, strengthened Himself, and rendered His thoughts on one constant.

And the Word tells us that we have the mind of Christ (I Corinthians 2:16).

This is what I want. I want to be a woman who is focused on one thing. I want my mind to be set on Jesus. If I resolve to do this and humbly accept God's grace to do so, I won't settle for a convenient Jesus anymore. My heart will be stayed on Him. And, if my heart is stayed on Him, the other areas of my life will fall into place: marriage, family, provision, prayer disciplines, spiritual growth, etc.

Jesus did many things, but leading a complicated, cluttered, distracted life was not one of them. He was focused. Just one thing. That's all I need to regularly occupy my mind with. One thing.

Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment