Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Currently taped to my bathroom mirror (which, by the way, is a GREAT place to put stuff so it's constantly in your face)



A Wife of Noble Character

- is a precious treasure
- is strong, graceful, and cheerful about the future
- is always dependable and trustworthy
- speaks sensibly and with wisdom
- enriches her husband's life
- gives instructions with kindness
- carefully watches everything in her household
- is good to her husband every day
- makes the best of what she has
- tries new things, is full of surprises, and isn't boring
- is an early riser
- plans ahead
- is a good steward
- makes good decisions
- is a hard worker
- stays busy (as opposed to idle...doesn't mean never resting) and isn't lazy
- helps the needy
- sees that her husband's needs are met
- is willing to do whatever it takes
- submits to her husband's authority
- covers her husband in prayer
- is modest and honors her husband at all times

(adapted from Proverbs 31)


You know, I used to read this passage of Scripture and almost want to groan aloud. That is more than understandable when a woman looks at this as the definition of female perfection. Thank goodness it's not about that. There is absolutely no suggestion of breaking my back to be sure that there's never a spot on the kitchen floor, it doesn't say that clothes have to be put away immediately, and I don't think it tells me that I always have to "feel good." When I look at these things as (attainable) goals to work on for, oh, the rest of my life or so, it doesn't seem so unrealistic. What woman doesn't want to be cheerful about the future? Who doesn't want to be full of life, wisdom, and kindness? Heck yeah, I want that! So...rather than looking at this list as something accusatory, I'm choosing to look at it as something liberating...

No comments:

Post a Comment